3.31.2009

Kurt & Karl von Steiger

When I first saw "Kurt & Karl von Steiger," I figured these guys were probably German war heroes of some sort (read: totally bad guys to me and my Jewish family). Fortunately, they are quite the opposite: Canadian tag-team pro wrestlers. But here's the thing--and it's interesting because the last post suffered from the same phenomenon--Kurt & Karl von Steiger are not real names. They are horribly-crafted pseudonyms. Huh?

Okay. They aren't horrible. These guys didn't start with much. Their real names are Lorne Corlett and Arnold Pastrick, so I guess I applaud them for creating the fake brother scenario. But, as someone with little to no pro wrestling knowledge, I find this stage name incredibly lame and non-threatening. They sound like twins who get dressed up in sailor suits and go to etiquette class and play with that Laura Ingalls Wilder-style hoop & stick game.

Based on their stupid name, do you think Macho Man Randy Savage would even flinch at the thought of fighting them? Maybe if he saw them. It might be a result of the times in which they were doin' their thang (the early '70s, when everyone had amazing 'staches and badass attitudes), but they actually did look pretty tough.

Okay, that's a lie. They looked like those old timey carnival strongmen which is actually more hilarious to me than any of the other fake wrestling around these days (particularly The Miz).

Even more hilarious, though? Their most notable feud over the years was with another tag-team duo known as The Royal Kangaroos. I mean, I get it. Kangaroo court, right? And these guys actually do look crazy tough. But listen, 'roos. Kangaroos are boxers. Get with the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment