3.18.2009

Quarter-life crisis

Disclaimer: This blog title sounds like something a whiny, woe-is-me, Sex-&-the-City-loving gal-on-the-town would write. "Boo hoo, I'm 23 and I'm not married." Cue the sad trombones. Well, it's not like that. Quarter-life crisis was a legit Wikroll. Deal with it.

In a nutshell, the QLC (that's really what they call it) is when young adults feel shitty because they're not totally awesome immediately after graduating college, so they either get super depressed...or get their shit together.

I first heard the term as a lyric in consummate douchebag John Mayer's 2001 single "Why Georgia?" At the time, I listened to that song and felt that he really
got me. This is partly because I was about to graduate college and partly because I was one of the dum-dums who thought John Mayer was dreamy. (I'll be honest. When I interviewed him for the school paper back in '02, I pretty much thought everyone was jealous. They weren't.)

There was also a show about peeps hit with the QLC. "Quarterlife" was a web show that graduated to real TV for about 12 seconds. Then, it was tossed out on ass for not being totally awesome immediately after graduation. If that wasn't bad enough, it then heard that its ex was getting married...to a doctor. Typical.

Y'know, I don't really feel like QL warrants a C. Instead, I just take pride in my refusal to grow up, and so do my friends. Which is nice, because I don't think I ever want to see Skinny or Sheridan grow up from this and go through mid-life crises. They'd both look silly driving Miatas.

If we never get out of this anti-QLC lifestyle, we'll always stay at the 1/4 mark...and live forever, right? Sounds fun, until you think about the ending of "Death Becomes Her."* Then it's just depressing
. Maybe I should have a QLC after all.

*This was my favorite movie when I was 11. Why was I watching such grownup things when I was in 6th grade? Maybe I'm not refusing to get old. I'm just aging backwards. That's some Benjamin Button shit.

1 comment: