3.25.2009

"Imagine That" (LL Cool J song)

First off, I have to admit that this still is not from the video for "Imagine That," the second single from LL Cool J's aptly acronymed album G.O.A.T. (Greatest of all Time to the layperson). It is indeed from the video for "Doin' It," and this image of LL is one of the only ones I've ever found attractive. Personally, I think he looks a little bit like a Muppet. All of his songs are about banging chicks or punching dudes yet I don't find him very good looking...except when he's eating that peach. As the stripper he's watching in this scene would probably say, "Daaaaaaaamn."

Despite his physical ickiness, I think he's managed to churn out some good work over the years. "Phenomenon" was on the first mix tape I made when I got my driver's license in '97 (accompanied by Marcy Playground, Spice Girls and many hot trax from the Space Jam soundtrack, but let's not get into that).

Sadly, though, I can't say I'd ever even heard "Imagine That" before today. It came out in June 2000, meaning it was hitting TRL just as we moved out of the dorms my freshman year of college. And, that summer, instead of watching MTV with my dormmates every day, I was working at a country club, where we played nonstop DMB, Guster, Dispatch and other yuppie hippie live sessions you'd hear in the Abercrombie store.

So. No slow jamz in the summer of '00 for me. Sorry LL. But I will listen to it now and appreciate lyrics like:

You could read the Iliad and the whole Odyssey
But no Trojan soldier scold you like me
Match the calculus then measure my frequency
But when you blast on my lap that's the highest degree

Wow. Now I know why the ladies love you, cool James. Listen to more stimulating lines & watch LL's lips say "Imagine That" 1200 times here.

PS: I would be remiss to post about LL Cool J without giving a shout out to a high school BMOC (big man on campus), Chris Dunn, who crafted his AOL screen name after LL. Yep, LLCD99 and I had some really deep IM convos back in the day. And yes, even the super popular kids were computer nerds at my school, I guess.

PPS: Also can't let a post related to goats (or G.O.A.T.s) slip by without telling you to go see "I Love You, Man," if only to hear my future husband Paul Rudd say. "Totally. Totes McGoats."

No comments:

Post a Comment