4.02.2009

San Francisco Theatre District

Based on the city's lingering stereotype, I'm sure San Francsico's theatre district is quite a thriving one, especially given that it's located in an area of the city called Tenderloin. Really? Must you be so suggestive with the gay imagery, San Francisco neighborhood naming committee? Actually, I've been informed that the area is actually rather sketchy and not the flamboyant Key West-meets-Land of Oz that I'm picturing in my head right now. Sad.

I've never even been to San Francisco, which is weird because I have several friends out there. Unfortunately, most of my knowledge of the city is entirely derived from Full House. It was a staple. It still is.

In fact, I had three separate conversations last Saturday night about each of the three father figures from Full House:

Uncle Jesse: This guy Jon that I met after my improv show went to John Stamos'* birthday. Apparently, Stamos is rocking a "hot, but still cool" 23-year-old girlfriend these days. Sounds pretty awesome, until you remember that the Olsen twins are about that age. Icky, Uncle Jesse. Icky.

Danny Tanner: My friend Garrett later told me a story about how he met Bob Saget at a theatre in Arlington Heights. He was, indeed, just as dirty as everyone claims he is (or knows he is, based on his Aristocrats performance), and made some super racist remarks.

Joey Gladstone: Finally, I watched an entire improv show that somehow came to center on Dave Coulier (who they referred to as "The Host of 'America's Funniest People'" in the show). That wasn't really a conversation per se, but whatever. It was weird to have the whole thing come full circle. NOTE: I'd like to state for the record that his character was just Joey. He was an avuncular figure, yes, but he was not an uncle. Joey. Not Uncle Joey.

I wonder if the folks in Full House lived near the theatre district. They'd probably get a lot of attention in Tenderloin, being 3 dudes living together and all. Wait, no. I'm confused. Maybe I should just go visit.

PS: Supplementary San Francisco knowledge has been gleaned from Mrs. Doubtfire, which I watched every day before 8th grade because I had a huge crush on Matthew Lawrence, Joey's

*I know a real guy named John Stamos. He's pretty good at trivia. Also, this guy Jon that went to Stamos' bday apparently used to have a fake ID with the name John Stamos. Weird.
little brother.

1 comment:

  1. Jesus Carly, I had no idea that you had such an affinity for Full House. But do I do have to say that I'm really disappointed that there was no mention of DJ or the fact that Lori Loughlin (everyone's favorite Aunt Becky) is now on the new 90210 (your new favorite show). You should probably fix that before your next blog.
    Love,
    -Kels

    ReplyDelete