4.23.2009

61st Annual Golden Globe Awards

At first, when I saw "61st Annual Golden Globe Awards," I immediately thought they had taken place in like 1979. I don't know why. I wasn't even close. They were the 2003 awards. You wouldn't think it would be so difficult to remember movies & TV from just six years ago because I'm traditionally pretty adept at knowing movie/TV factoids (IMDB.com is my home page for Pete's sake), but I had a hard time with it. All I knew for sure without looking at the list of winners was that my least favorite show (besides Two and a Half Men...and According to Jim...and George Lopez) Sex & the City was a big winner. It had to have been, right? Nah. Walked (gallopped?) away with one award for Sarah Jessica Parker.

The real big winner of the party (yeah, apparently stars say the GGs are a huge party because you sit a tables, not in an auditorium and people get all wasted and shit and then lose their rented Harry Winston jewels) was Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Nerds.

Unfortunately for my own acceptance rating among the nerds I love so much, I've never seen any LOTR movies. I know enough about them through Led Zeppelin music to know it's not really my thing. Okay, that's not true. I think I have this attitude about me where I never want to get into anything that has a huge obsessive following (besdies Zac Efron--wow--my heart is beating faster just thinking about him) for fear that I will also become culty and/or trite and/or creepy in the process.

In my mind, this psychotic following most often develops around movie trilogies/series. Nearly every series you could name is also one I have never seen. I don't know. I guess I've always been averse to them. Get ready to be disappointed and hereby renounce me as the queen of trivia you've all come to know and love. Here's a list of those fave movie series I've never seen:

  • Lord of the Rings
  • Harry Potter (I saw part of one once. They played that broom game. I fell asleep.)
  • Star Wars (I've seen the ewok movie, but that's it. I tried watching the 1st one [the 4th one?] but it was SO boring I turned it off after 20 minutes.)
  • Rocky (Am I really missing much? "Eye of the Tiger," egg drinking, Philly steps, "ADRIENNE!")
  • Rambo (See above)
  • Terminator
  • Indiana Jones (I know. This one is kinda important. It's on my Netflix, but I keep bumping it for seasons of Punky Brewster.)
  • JAWS (Listen, my sister was too scared to watch Sleeping Beauty and E.T. There was no way my mom was letting us watch JAWS.)
  • Nightmare on Elm Street/Halloween/Friday the 13th (I have seen all 3 "Scream" movies, though.)
  • Lethal Weapon (I know nothing about these movies.)
  • Die Hard ("Yippie kay ay motherfucker" is all I need to know, right?)
  • Police Academy (Watched the cartoon all the time but never saw any of the movies. Weird.)
  • Beverly Hills Cop (Now I have that song in my head...)
  • The Matrix (Ookay, I saw the first one, but I don't remember it.)
  • The Godfather (My friend Tyler made us watch the original once in high school. As soon as we got to the dead horse part, I was done. We put on Allison's "Best of MTV's The State" tape instead.)
Are you sufficiently disappointed? Yeah, I know. Me too. Guess I've got some stuff to go watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment