4.14.2009

Pendergardens

Pendergardens is a self-contained pedestrian development being constructed in the last open space left in Malta. This is straight outta LOST, people! The description makes it sound idyllic, all-inclusive and lovely, but all I can think of is the tropical-yet-creepy Dharma commune and their mysterious (read: psychotic) orientation videos. Like, don't you wonder what kind of people would move there? Do you think there's a waiting list or they have to shadily recruit people and dupe them into coming like they did to Juliet? (PS, I really apologize for all the LOST references. If you don't get them, then just read this instead.)

As it if weren't enough that I picture this place crawling with clones and hoverboards (meaning I think this place is the love child of super 70s Dharma, the movie Gattaca and the "future" part of Back to the Future Part II), I've also got some qualms with the whole "pedestrian development" thing. The only "pedestrian development"* I can currently recall ever visiting is Mackinac Island, which, coincidentally, I was just telling J. Holmes about this afternoon. It's quiant, yes. But all there really is to do there is eat fudge and ride bikes. Oh, you can also go on horse-drawn carriage rides. Yawn.

Thinking about it now, the image I've worked up in my head actually sounds kind of exciting. Like Narnia but without the lions. Exotic and futuristic with lots of dudes that look like Ethan Hawke & Michael J. Fox. Oh, and ponies. Sadly, I perused Pendergardens.com, and it looks like my dreams will not be coming true. Why do they insist on letting me down?

*Another notable pedestrian area is at my alma mater: State Street in Madison, Wisconsin. Check it out on MTV's College Life, a piece of trash reality show that makes me reaaaaaalllllly miss being in school. Madison = utopia.

1 comment:

  1. dude... you know i used to live here, right?? totally a weird ass little place. i fit in quite well.

    j/k, i was about 3 inches taller than most of the guys there. lame!

    ReplyDelete