4.06.2009

Fornication in Delirium

Sorry kids. "Fornication in Delirium" is not what I did on Saturday night (although I'm going to guess that some of my fellow promgoers* can't say the same). It is, indeed, the title of the 1992 EP by death metal band Rottrevore, a Pittsburghian band that lived from 1987-1995. That entire sentence sounds terrifying. I wish I could say the same for the title of this so-called death metal record.

While the title does imply "Fucking Like Crazy," I can't say I find their chosen euphemisms to be particularly hardcore. I'd expect the title of a death metal album to be something more like...um, I don't know..."Fucking Like Crazy," wouldn't you?

It doesn't stop there, either. The EP only contains two tracks, both of which are also wimpily named. "Unanimous Approval" sounds like an inspirational adult contemporary-approved alt-rock song by Vertical Horizon or New Radicals. And "Conspiracized" just brings to mind some sort of protest song the Indigo Girls wrote about the multiple illegal alien conspiracy theories surrounding the southwestern US.

I'd like to say that the moral of the story is that the reason you've never heard of Rottrevore is because they were terrible at naming things. But that's not true. Their other albums sound totally scary and offensive: "Copulation Of The Virtuous And Vicious," "The Epitome of Pantalgia" and my personal favorite "Son Of Bllleeeeaaauuurrrrgghhh!"

So what happened in 1992? Can't tell ya. Guess it just wasn't as good as 1987.

*Yes. I attended a prom on Saturday. Deal with it. I'm not a creepy cougar. My friends Josh & Katie, the only married ones of our big bubble of friends, host us every year in their loft. The cops came this year. Yeah, we're badass as "Son of a Bllleeeeaaauuurrrrgghhh!" though.

No comments:

Post a Comment