6.03.2009

Champclause

Sadly, while it sounds like it's some kind of loophole to get the small town's star high school quarterback out of that underage DUI he pulled after prom, Champclause is actually a region in the Haute-Loire department of France. And it's probably not pronounced CHAMP-claws like I'd prefer. It's surely got a pretentious French pronunciation that always makes me want to vom (y'know, except when it's Capucine).

Isn't it weird that the French call neighborhoods and areas departments? Again, I know it's not pronounced in the harsh American way I'm imagining in my head, and it's much more romantical-sounding. But still I'd hate to live in a department. Or, rather, a dey-parr-man. Do you think they sleep in cubicles (qu-bee-cluh) and, um...I can't think of another analogy right now. Guess it's a good thing I'm not a really bad stand-up comic because this is the kind of joke I'd try telling. And nobody would laugh (so I'd have to jump in the audience and laugh at myself, a phenomenon which I liken to people giving the thumbs up to their own Facebook statuses*).

While we're on the subject of obnoxious French pronunciations, how 'bout that sucky new McDonald's commercial about McCafe? Ugh. It kills me. Every time. Chore? Chor-ay! Shuttle? Shutt-lay! Thank god I didn't write that crap. Definitely wouldn't merit the auto-thumbs-up.

Speaking of McDonald's, though, on Family Guy the other day, they were talking about the McDLT (skip to about 11:30 on that clip--there's some good Growing Pains humor in there too). Now, the McDLT was something I didn't know about at all. Probably because I always have and always will be strictly loyal to McNuggets. I had to look it up on Wikipedia and, to be honest, it sounds really stupid. But maybe that's just because I'm pronouncing it the French way.

*I stole that joke from my friend Adam. So, if it's not funny, it's his fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment