1.21.2009

BarlowGirl


Today, random article brought me the the entry about BarlowGirl, an all-girl Christian rock band from Elgin, IL. Doesn't the one on the left look like Kelly Clarkson?

Now, since Elgin is kinda near where I grew up (Milwaukee), I wonder whether they're related to the Barlows I know. Probably not. They aren't Christian. They're Mormon. Mormonism isn't part of Christianity, is it? Damned if I know. I am, as it were, a Cashew (Catholic Jew) and, as such, know very little about my own religion(s), much less anyone else's.

In any event, it seemed strange that they were Mormon because, to my knowledge, there wasn't a huge Mormon contingency in southeastern Wisconsin. Was there? Again, I have no idea.

Anything I had heard about Mormons was that they got married a bunch and lived in Utah, neither of which was a true statement about the Barlows. Granted, I was 15 and lived in ridiculously homogeneous suburb, so I was clueless. But, to me, the Barlow family was anything but creepy polygamists.

In fact, my BFF Kim and I (who ended up not being a BFF after all when we stopped being friends in 8th grade-ish) were in love with the oldest brother, a lifeguard at the pool we frequented every summer from 1988-1994. We were crushed when he suddenly stopped working due to some sort of drug bust involving him and this other super cute lifeguard Cody. Very un-Mormon of him, no?

Come to think of it, Cody happened to be from the one other Mormon family in town, which is, again, weird. Right? I thought they weren't supposed to do drugs. I guess you can see why I'm so confused about Christians and their rock bands. Whatever, I'm going to go watch Big Love.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny. Upon first glance, you think these girls are pretty hot. Then, you look at the photo a few more times and realize you're drinking the Mormon kool-aid. Brigham Young tricked me again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mormons are just people . . . some, just like other people, make poor choices and get caught up in drugs or some other addiction(s). I know many Mormons - and they are all fantastic people . . . No, they do not get married a bunch, nor are they secluded to Utah. It is a world-wide church now. These Barlowgirls have great music, musically speaking, whether or not you enjoy it.
    And Train, what on earth are you talking about?! Mormon Kool-aid? You are pretty pathetic!

    ReplyDelete